Sunday, March 3, 2013

I Am Better Than You




I Am Better Than You





My father wanted a son badly. But god had different views. May be he was funny; he gave him girls and many of them. Finally he went to a famous swami for blessings to have a son. The swami blessed and assured him that he will have two sons. Instead he had some more girls. He was so angry with god; he broke everything about god in the house, stomped on them and threw them. From that day he became an atheist. Later in spite of having two sons, he did not believe in god till he died. He died early, may be god got tired of him and took him away.

I grew up with very little religious beliefs. God came in to our life on festival days and whenever there was a temple visit. There were no daily praying and all that.  People at home were religious, but we didn't have a set plan for god. We prayed to god when in need with no rules.  We were scared of God, as heaven and hell were very well communicated by elders. We were literally scared of hell, as the devils up there were very good in frying and boiling us alive in oil. That was really scary for anybody, so doing dirty deeds were out of the question.

As I grew up I was introduced to many more gods. Gods of different religions were accepted in the same prayer hall and prayed in our boarding school. Next boarding school accepted all religions in its fold. We never had animosity for other religion or gods. We were taught that all roads lead to god, which ever route you take, the routes being the religions. We prayed regularly and god came back in to my life. Officially I was a believer and god was helping me through my life. Over time I got to know more gods from my religion and other religions.

When I started work, my work place started work with prayer and recitation. Many times I also recited, though I was the only one of a different religion and I did not have any problem.  One day the chief asked me why I do not believe in only living god for which I could only smile. With so many gods around me, didn't mind another god to my list.  By now I was confused with so many gods and constant reminder by people of how their god is better and how others can live without their god. I asked one boss in rounds. Sir, how is it that God is not angry with non followers and why so many millions are of different religion?  If the God was only one and he is supreme, why is it he can’t get all of them to follow him?  Or is it that he is having some fun, looking at how stupid we are killing each other. Answers didn't satisfy me. And god disappeared from my life again.

God has been my constant search, as I see millions of religious Indians. Indians are a brand. We have an Indian who is a brand with a logo. You can literally look at a person and know he belongs to certain brand. It is just like a car brand. Take the logo out and you still can say which brand it is, a trait set by the brand. Like that we tend to set a trait in our behavior  attitude, dress or our additional logos to show off to others, who we are and where we belong. This is to show we are better and ours is better, maybe you should think of following us.  Everybody wants to show who they are and where they belong. God is used everywhere and for everything. God is given to everybody, whether asked or not. If you open a Face book page, you see so many gods in so many styles and varieties, god is worried. He did not know he had such corporate style. He has advanced to I Pad world. Now you can see god online and pray online.

Assume God is in charge of our solar system. Where does he stay, he cannot stay in the sun, he may burn. Then he can’t be in moon also we have visited moon.  May be in Jupiter or mercury or like we say paradise. Paradise may be a super planet, not yet discovered by the humans, as the god has not yet decided on showing the world. May be many solar systems are headed by different gods while they stay together in this super planet.  And all are fighting for their numbers like politicians and corporate. Earth is their biggest territorial dispute.  And it may have gone higher up to be solved in god’s court of united planets.

Many people over the years have asked me whether I believe in god. And I have always told them that I do. For that I do not have to show them I do. I have nothing around that shows that God is with me. God is personal, very personal. He is not an object to be projected everywhere. He is not a politician and he does not need votes. May be he needs some space and I give him space. I pray to him but I keep him at home. Neither do I take him everywhere I go nor do I tell everybody about him.  He is in my heart and all I have to do is follow his principle of being human.

 People bring god everywhere and want to share with everybody, only thing they do not do is what god is asking them. Being human, kind and honest.  If all the religious people other than the realists of this country were to follow the principle of their god, we would have had paradise on earth. There would be no corruption, crime and inequality. Instead we have the most corrupt, racist and criminal people in this world.  And all of them are religious. God has more followers of corrupt, racist and criminal background than the honest ones. That is the irony of god. No wonder he has not made up his mind to visit his property and his children.

I was in a small town for a few years which was so religious; you just had to drive around the city to know.  The town had lot of hillocks around. Every boulder was painted with all the religious signs.  Every religion had made their presence. If one goes higher other one goes higher than that. If one is bigger other one goes bigger than that. They were showing that they were higher, bigger and better. This attitude is building hatred among everybody and the younger generation are growing up with more hatred. You can see how religious our country has gone compared to ten years ago. We are getting more religious and we are making it obvious by showing off. This is offending others who in turn are getting more religious themselves and getting defensive.

Religious beliefs are like husband and wife relation. You continuously insult the other to win an argument. More you try to prove you are better is by going low in life. You cannot win; there is always resistance from the other end. Everything you believe as right is opposed by the other. Nobody will let go and accept you, unless you accept.
God will not be coming shortly to solve our problems till our race is wiped off. He may come back later and start a new civilization  I have had a love and hate relationship with god. When in need I go to him, sometimes I get angry with him and stop believing him. And it is all very personal; nobody is involved in my relationship with him. I do not need an identity from him, because I do not intend to intimidate the others. I give space for their belief and respect that. That is the reason I keep my god at home and in my heart. Even in my house he is not displayed in every nook and corner. He has place and he stays there. He does not need a form and especially he does not need an advertisement.

I am better than you, is an attitude practiced by humans in many ways. It is present in everyday activity, involving caste, creed and religion. It is harassment and intimidation. And it is shown in many different ways and we all come across in daily life. Just imagine how many friends you have missed by this, who could have come from so many different traits and built you in your personal life. 

This attitude builds defense from the other person who turns in to hatred and mob building. There are many people who take advantage of this to build an army of people with hatred.

World peace which has been talked about in the world can be achieved by the people themselves. All you have to do is leave your identity at home. Be a global citizen you will be accepted everywhere. More you want to show your identity, more you are a suspect.

PS: All the pictures were picked up from Google search. 

Please do share if you like this. 
If you like it and you want to thank me for few points you learnt from me please do go to the end of blog and click on Facebook icon,login and click on share link. 

Otherwise you have an option in comment section to really bring me down by your criticism either by yourself or as anonymous.




15 comments:

  1. Shiv, U R UNIQUE, truly fabulous. gonna change a few peoples mindset by this. KUDOS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks shahab
    please share to educate the rest

    ReplyDelete
  3. man very true man i can say you are right one hundred percent right and hope at least a few people get some sense into their heads after reading this ,we have become self centered and selfish and its not a good sign

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Read!!!

    Must read for the younger generations.

    Great work :)

    -Sudan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Post yet again Shiv...Your topics belong to different genre each time..

    Seems it was like awakening our thoughts from slumber!
    What is significant to understand is that there would have been numerous instances in people's lives and the way life would have presented itself to people which would be different, which would evantually make the people fall into buckets of being theists and atheists...Its individual self's most righteous judgment whether to be a believer or a non- believer, either way the individual is right!
    Its nobody's moral right to say thumbs down on non-believers and patting backs of believers...

    As long as we are clear as whether we are theists and atheists, and our reasoning and rationale to be what we are is thorough...
    But the pitiable state of apathy is where one portrays their take on God in a different way than what they actually are, not knowing whether what they portray is their perception or prevalence !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article, again! Completely agree with you. This post reminded me of a hindi poem that was taught to us in 10th grade which pretty much summarizes that the only way to worship God is through our actions and not by mere prayers. God helps those who help themselves & I truly believe in that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting read! completely agree that God or religion is completely personal n no one need invade that personal space to tell us what is better n what is not.... its like what u eat/what u wear-entirely personal n to suit ur comfort/space n not to please others... no need to use God/religion to flaunt power/money-there r better ways to do that!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shiv,
    wonderful article. very thoughtfully written. I always tried to scientifically think and believe that god doesn't exist but when it came to nature's creations which human cannot duplicate, however creative- always believed there is some supernatural phenomenonon which we are all calling in different ways as god.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shiv, this really has to be your best blog yet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rather interesting way to look at this issue of whose god has a bigger horse.

    I'm always telling people its better to be god loving than god fearing, but never once did I stop to consider which god I was thinking of.

    When my mum is in pain she calls out to 'muruga', yet we are also practice vegetarianism on thursdays for 'Sai Baba'. We enthusiastically chant 'Hare krishna, hare krishna, krishna, krishna, hare hare' with the group of Krishna devotees at Iskon all the while rarely failing to take a lemon to the amman in maangadu every Friday. Never does an idol of ganesha leaves our sight without a small salute, Never do we fail to say thanks in awed silence at any church. Be it any of the 200 Hindu Gods, Be it the son of God or any other supernatural, omniscient being, it hardly matters who is better than who as long as your heart is in the right place.

    I've always thought following a religion is like having standards, it's okay to have it, it's even okay to be proud of it, but that is no excuse to try and shove it down everyone elses throats or claim you're better than them, merely because they are different.

    So basically, I totally agree with you Uncle! Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Dr Shiv Prasad,
    agree with most of your observations. There is a thinking that the "Gods" whom we worship are actually aliens. There are some very good videos on You Tube. Typing "NASA UFO VIDEOS" brings out a whole lot of them. Most of them fake but some original genuine NASA videos with UFOs. Also please visit this link; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mr2G1_UYWY or type "Oregon Sri Yantra". Now, before you accuse me of trying to promote a certain religion, I would like to draw your attention to something else. Is it not possible that there is a higher force which has created us(it is another matter that we have given it different names to suit ourselves). Is is not possible that there are other beings out there who are far more intelligent and technologically way ahead of us. Hmmm.... worth pondering. The problem is that we are so busy with our daily grind that our situation is similar to a frog in a well. What say you??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shivu..
    this is really good one. Longish, but put it in simple words... Great

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post Shiva, many of us have experienced the same situation. Religion has just become another stick to beat people with. Ultimately it is about control and power - as u rightly said devotees are a brand, whoever has greater market share will have more power. Religious leaders are among the most power hungry, if not themselves their underlings definitely are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks vinay and Kishore, both of your appreciation means I still can write.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very well written.
    I am an agnostic and can relate very well to what you epxress.

    ReplyDelete

Watch what you Eat

  Watch what you eat Other day we were in a very expensive restaurant for dinner. I just ate a piece of mutton chops, and when I just bit ...